Procedural paintbrushes are creative tools that augment your input.
An insight from Procedural Generation in Game Design, Generative Art Toys, by Kate Compton. A good procedural paintbrush is...
- Smarter than a pencil
- Constrains and magnifies your input
- Trades control for superpowers
- Defines a possibility space of mostly satisfying outcomes
- The pottery wheel constrains input to the x axis, and gives you symmetry superpowers in return.
- Spirograph constrains input to the choice of gears, but produces a variety of surprising outcomes.