The Magic Circle is a metaphor for thinking about the time/space in which a game is played.
- The magic circle has boundaries of space and time. A soccer pitch is a different place before vs during the game.
- When players enter the magic circle, the game mediates their interactions.
- Inside the magic circle, specialized meanings are given to objects and actions.
- The magic circle is a temporary world-within-the-world.
- Entering the magic circle requires suspending disbelief.
- How can I mark boundaries?
- How can I arrange objects/people/space to facilitate play?
- How can I mark special meanings and events?
- How can I create a temporary world, separate from ordinary reality? How should I set the scene?
- How can I embrace inefficiency and suspend disbelief?
See bookfor more on this topic.